[rescue] Solaris licensing (was:Basement Cleaning)

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 15:52:40 CDT 2014

First, the license only covers the use of the Oracle product--that is, what
ever products the  solaris-cluster-express-license covers.  It does not
address the applications and utilities that one installed and uses in the
Solaris environment, of example.

Obviously, you aren't a lawyer.  To ask that question belies a lack of
understanding what operating systems do, what they are composed of, and how
they are used.  Example, Windows and Solaris do the same thing.  Of course,
one is inherently better.  Apps run on both Windows and Solaris without any
infringement of the publisher's license.  Plus, there was a time when
Solaris existed but the bash shell did not.  The old timers got along quite
well with sh, ksh, and others.  "vi" predated emacs and vim.  None of the
programs you mentioned are necessary to adequately or professionally run a
Solaris system.

Second, the issue with Oracle's devouring of Sun is not that Oracle/Sun
products can't be used any longer but in getting patches.  When I left the
Solaris arena, all patches required a service contract/update contract/etc.
 Whereas Sun charged for their OS and Product patches, they provided
security patches were freely downloaded.  Now Oracle charges for both the
OS & Product patches as well as security patches.  The cost of a hardware
maintenance contract was 1/8 of the MSRP of the server/workstation.  The
software contracts for each server were $1000 for 3 years IIRC.  So you can
use your Solaris machine to your hearts content.  You just can't upgraded
it or secure it legally.  That is, you have a license for a static
installation of Solaris.

If  you are in the business environment, buy the license.