[rescue] Solaris licensing

Barry Callahan barryc at rjlsystems.com
Thu Sep 4 09:55:47 CDT 2014

On 9/4/2014 10:46 AM, Andrew Gaylard wrote:
> On 08/31/14 17:07, John Carr wrote:
>> Honestly, Oracle has made having Sun boxes not-fun since I can't get a hobbyist license or
>> patches for Solaris. I think that for now, I'll pass.
> Are you sure?  I'm looking at this link (which Google provided, so I'm
> not 100% sure that it applies to S10 and /or S11):
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/licenses/solaris-cluster-express-license-167852.html
>
> which says

**SNIP**

> ...which says ...  Forever ("/perpetual/").

You *DID* save a copy of the license text when you downloaded the
Solaris ISOs (or had them shipped to you) and submitted the web form
telling them how many copies you were expecting to install, didn't you?

> Am I on shaky ground? Should I wipe Solaris off my SPARC box, and go
> with Linux (or *BSD)?

And yes, the same "perpetual" and "non-transferable" language existed in
the Solaris license agreement when I downloaded the Sol10 and 11 ISOs I
have.