[rescue] From the basement...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun May 11 15:24:47 CDT 2014

An update on the Apple ][e:

So I powered it up - I unplugged the disc controller, left the 80
column/additional memory card in - and it fired right up.

A quick "Hello, World!" program in AppleSoft BASIC and everything looked
great.

I will leave the DuoDisc drive and controller disconnected for now, I have
no floppies and no way to clean thirty years of gunk off the heads if I
wanted to test them.

I looked up the CFFA card (
http://dreher.net/?s=projects/CFforAppleII&c=projects/CFforAppleII/main.php),
and while the third run is now sold out (as of three weeks ago, DARN),
the seller is taking names towards a possible fourth run. It seems pricey,
but I think I'm going to hold on to this extremely clean and complete Apple
][e for a while, and having a card like this in the machine makes a whole
lot of sense.

I cleaned off the case (removed sides and top from bottom tray) with some
variant of 409 - it was dirty, not dis-colored (too much), and now it looks
good as new.

I went online poking around and stumbled upon two books about the Apple 1
and ][ history and use, they should arrive in a few days:

The New Apple ][ User's Guide -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0615639879/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sophistication and Simplicity -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0986832278/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess I need an actual monitor to display 80 column text, correct? Any
pointers on such a beastie? Are there composite to VGA adapters that will
work? Is there a way to make this display properly on, say, a flat panel TV?

Thanks,

Lionel

lionel4287 at gmail.com