[rescue] From the basement...

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Sun May 11 05:28:48 CDT 2014

[ Apparently I sent this message from the wrong account on May 7th...

> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
> ... and a disc
> controller. The two disc drives are in a "duo" case and attach with a
> single round cable (not the rainbow ribbon cable the drives connected
> with on early Apple ][ computers I'm familiar with.

Don't have the URL handy (at airport), but there's a page, "Apple Floppy
Drives" (?), that enumerates the controllers and drives in both 3 1/2
and 5 1/4 inch flavors. Yours likely can control some flavor of 3 1/2
drive too.

[ At least I can include the URL now...
[ http://www.vintagemacworld.com/drives.html

> I wonder what people do to get around the inevitable death of 30+
> year-old 5 1/4" floppy drives (and the complete lack of new 5 1/4"
> media AFAIK)? (Do people use iPods connected to the cassette ports?)

Could do, but there are tiny boxes than connect to the FDC and let you
use SD cards as floppies.

[ Ex: http://cgi.ebay.com/itm/151287615444

That said, the older low-density 5 1/4 inch floppies seen to have
impressive survival rates with decent storage conditions.

--S.

Sent from my highly functional, highly vulnerable smartphone