[rescue] Floppy disks and lifespans

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Thu May 1 23:59:25 CDT 2014

> I remember floppy disks from the 80s lasting much longer than floppy disks
> from the 90s, but I don't ahve any written proof or anything other than
> anecdotal information to support any of this.

In 80's I used mostly soviet 5.25-inch floppies and I have nothing good
to rememb froem them. With one exception: we had one BASF floppy and it
just worked, and it formatted without BAD-s on firt try.

My first bunch of 3.5-inch floppy disks was from 1991-1993 and most of
these still work fine (about half are 3M, other half mixed, including
noname). However, floppes from 1995-1997 were much worse quality, many
of them use-once. I remember taking Internet software on 3 floppies with
to me a client in 1997 and I made precautions and had 2 copies with me.
Disk 2 of both sets was unreadable...

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)