[rescue] [geeks] Last Call - Ultra 5/10 parts

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Tue Mar 11 10:01:57 CDT 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 10:48:30AM -0400, Mouse wrote:
> > The overall loss of computing "biodiversity" from that was huge and
> > now we effectively have an Intel monoculture
>
> Fortunately it's not _quite_ that bad; a lot of today's "mobile"
> machines ("smartphones" and tablets) are ARM or MIPS or some such
> rather than Intel.

Yeah, but they still run Linux or Android. "Houston, we have a problem!"

> I've often thought that if I were in charge of security at something
> serious, one of my first dicta would be to never use anything with more
> than 50% market share: CPU architecture, OS, applications, networking,
> whatever.  It wouldn't be easy, especially with networking; indeed,
> there'd probably end up being a carveout for our border talking to the
> world....

It's not market share that makes Windows a virus magnet, it's bad
development and the multi-billion dollar a year anti-virus business. I
am waiting for the day when somebody proves in a court of law these two
things are causally (not casually) related.

Android is the new swiss-cheese (no offense to any Swiss members). It has a
worse security record than Windows. But I do note some common factors.

> Maybe the world needs me, but it no longer wants me, and I'm finding it
> more and more depressing to try to carry on regardless.

Oh bullshit. I'd gladly buy you a &BEVERAGE but your plane ticket makes it a
bad ROI ;-)

Non carboarundum, no filmy deposits... stuff like that.