[rescue] [geeks] Last Call - Ultra 5/10 parts

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Mar 10 22:35:52 CDT 2014

> In the U5/U10, Sun consciously attempted to cheapen the systems with
> COTS PeeCee components.

> Where we disagree is that I think this was more good than bad.

I can deal with disagreeing.

> PCI was arch-independent,

Pff!  Why do Alphas have an x86 emulator in ROM?

> (Does anyone really praise the last-generation Sun homebrew graphics,
> the MAJC stuff?)

I don't recognize the MAJC name.  But I praise very little in the
graphics world from the last decade or two, because it's frickin' ALL
undocumented.  Even the cg6, possibly the snappiest Sun SBus video
card, I've never seen any documentation on how to use its transform
engine.  (Actually...the ZX might be a better performer, if I could
find out how to drive the damn thing.  The cg6 at least has enough
known to accelerate 2D graphics.)

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org