[rescue] [geeks] Last Call - Ultra 5/10 parts

Barry Callahan barryc at rjlsystems.com
Mon Mar 10 22:07:07 CDT 2014

On 3/10/2014 10:32 PM, Andrew Jones wrote:

> Where we disagree is that I think this was more good than bad. PCI was
> arch-independent, blisteringly fast, and cheaper to implement than
> SBus.  Most of the PCI systems and boards were quite good.

Summer of '99, I had the opportunity to ask a could of Sun sales
engineers, point-blank, why the switch to PCI from SBUS.

The answer: "Speed."

Problems caused by cheaply manufactured cards were mitigated with the
official Hardware Compatability List. Having a problem with a card
that's not on the list? Tough cookies.