[rescue] OK seeing about Tadpole systems in the list

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Mar 4 13:45:22 CST 2014

I've seen this legacy dependence... on a much smaller scale, I retired a
Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ (old SPARC-based 4-drive 2tb-max-drive-size NAS)
recently, sold it to a friend for $100 which was a fair price for me and
him. However, since it's long out of maintenance, they're selling for
$300-1000 for people who *have* to get data off of the semi-proprietary[1]
(i.e. can't plug drives into newer model to recover) filesystem.

[1] (I know it's not truly proprietary, and if you had a SPARC Linux system
available you could probably recover it, but most home and small office
users don't have a SPARC Linux system sitting around accessible for this
purpose.)

And as an aside, they may simply use eBay as a marketing/advertising
destination. People might Google the system they want, find this guy's
listings, see he's in Pasadena, and drive over to make arrangements that
way. It could also provide evidence for tax purposes that he is attempting
to conduct business. 3 out of 5 and all that.

The other thing to note is that he's had zero *feedback* ... it's harder to
tell if he's had any transactions although there are no recent completed
auctions showing.

And finally, if you price your item right,  you only need to sell one of
them, right? :)

(I found one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161106196006 gutted but
semi-functional for about $15, which is how I found "portableunix" while
looking for parts to ungut it. Got memory from Israel for it, still have to
figure out the display settings when I run out of 21st century stuff to do.)