[rescue] Sun Systems need to go away

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Fri Feb 28 08:28:24 CST 2014

On February 27, 2014 8:49:04 AM EST, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:
>I can't imagine adding a redundant PSU would appreciably increase power
>consumption - two 500 watt PSUs feeding a particular load should be
>just as
>efficient as one 500 watt PSU feeding that same exact load.

Is the second PSU even standard on a v240? I think i might not have the second PSU, but I,m not going to bother running to the basement to check at this time.

>As for the extra drive bays, they are very useful for storing hot spare
>drives, since in my basement all my SCSI drives are hand-me-downs from
>production environments, how much power could a hot spare consume?

Worst case, almost as much power as the working drives, if the drive or OS don't keep it in a proper power saving state.

>But the bigger question - are people still really reaching into their
>pockets
>and spending money to acquire particular SPARC boxes, or are we to the
>point
>of picking the 'keepers' out if the stream of old hardware that passes
>before
>us on the way to the scrapper? Personally, I can't imagine I 'd give
>someone
>any money for a Sun/SPARC system, but that's me...

Some of us have never had a stream of old Sun hardware passing before us.