[rescue] Sun Systems need to go away

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 07:49:04 CST 2014

I can't imagine adding a redundant PSU would appreciably increase power
consumption - two 500 watt PSUs feeding a particular load should be just as
efficient as one 500 watt PSU feeding that same exact load.

As for the extra drive bays, they are very useful for storing hot spare
drives, since in my basement all my SCSI drives are hand-me-downs from
production environments, how much power could a hot spare consume?

I don't think a V240 would consume that much more power than a similar-spec'd
V210.

But the bigger question - are people still really reaching into their pockets
and spending money to acquire particular SPARC boxes, or are we to the point
of picking the 'keepers' out if the stream of old hardware that passes before
us on the way to the scrapper? Personally, I can't imagine I 'd give someone
any money for a Sun/SPARC system, but that's me...

Lionel