[rescue] Fixed LCD's?

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 07:47:00 CST 2014

On Friday, February 21, 2014, hike <mh1272 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ib m not whining.  The list is helpful to me and I have been a subscriber
> for over a decade.  Only those who offered specific information were
> helpful in answering my question.  I was surprised that some people like to
> to condemn the b throwing awayb  of older equipment when they couldnb t
> offer
> suggestions on how to actually fix the older and failed equipment.  This is
> a weakness that I have never seen before on the list.
>
> As to badcaps, you and I totally agreeb not a novice site but a good/very
> good reference site.  The only issue was that I asked where to get
> b trainingb .  Training is actual experience doing a task, not reading a
> reference website.  A site like that works in some profession (sysadmin
> sites, for example) but not on R&R caps for someone who hasnb t ever
> soldered.

Here is a set of links to a pretty good set of basic soldering tutorials,
done by Dave Jones, the guy who does EEVBlog.

Part 1:
 http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ

Part 2:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fYz5nIHH0iY

Part 3:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=b9FC9fAlfQE

Part 4:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=588iV07nEdM

Good advice, and good technique.  He's pretty easy to follow, too.

Remove the "m." from the front of the URLs, if you're not on a mobile
device, of course.

If you're worried about damaging boards that you care about, go to a local
hamfest.  There are guaranteed to be junk boards laying around that you can
experiment on.  Be aware that modern PCBs tend to be varnished, to protect
them, so try to pick up older cast-offs.

I, too, was somewhat nervous about soldering, after years of poor to mixed
results.  However, my problem turned out to be a combination of lack of
confidence and a poor soldering iron.  The best advice that I can give is
that a beginner should absolutely have quality soldering tools, while an
expert can make do with whatever is available.

Good luck, and as the others here are saying, just get started and try it.
 Experience is the best teacher.

- Alex