[rescue] Help needed with Sun V65x

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 02:18:18 CST 2014

Hi All

I always remember coming across my first customer with an Ultra 5, he was one
who we had supplied some SS20 upgrades to previously and had bought in a an ex
rental U5 270Mhz. His business was something to do with analysis of seismic
data and training folk how to do it (he worked alone in his attic, so no big
budgets). He was over the moon that the U5 ran so much faster than the SS20
for his apps.

Given the price point on the U5 was so cheap < #5k entry level (#3k?) compared
to SS20, there was no surprise it was a great success. I probably sell more
U5/U10 motherboards/CPUs than anything else now which must be going to support
kit in the field. (Yes it was not the most reliable Sun product, but
acceptable).

Peter
---------------------------
Peter Stokes
Ashlyn Computer Services
Tel: 01636 627990
Mbl: 07977 532320
---------------------------

On 19 Feb 2014, at 02:32, r.stricklin <bear at typewritten.org> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2014, at 9:10 AM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>
>> the Indy was about $5K at introduction.
>
> and all but unusable in that configuration. By the time you spec'ed one to
do
> actual work, you were in for well over $10k.
>
> Sun retreated to the high end after such knockout bargain successes like
the
> SLC, and the SPARCclassic and the SPARCstation 4 ($3995). The SS5 (~$5k)
was