[rescue] Fixed LCD's?

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Tue Feb 18 19:13:02 CST 2014

On 18/02/14 4:57 PM, hike wrote:
> So and based on the information in the thread, it takes at least $300 of
> equipment/stuff to de-solder a failed cap and resolver a new cap.  This is
> in addition to learning to solder well enough to tackle this process.  So,
> herebs another reason people chuck failed LCDs in the binbthe high cost
> of
> entry to be able to do repairs.  I would think that I would have to sell 10
> repaired monitors to cover the cost of equipment/supplies.
>
> The second set of suggested equipment with supplies would be at least $800
> and that would make the break even point even further out.
>
> So while some lament the fact of failed hardware being thrown out, it
> really is a good choice just to take to the recycle and buy a new one at
> the store/eBay/Craigslist/NewEgg.  (For us, there is a recycle place at the
> dump where we take our garbage.  No extra gas needed.)
>
> The biggest issues for me personally are (1) finding someone or some place
> to train me how to do this process

http://badcaps.net

Replace bulging/leaking capacitors.

There, you're trained. That site will also teach you to make other
simple repairs, like the 18 cent resistor that I mentioned which
restored a 24" Samsung. Search on the model numbers and board numbers.

The hardest part of the process is *opening* the damn things.

 > and (2) how to find $300 in my already

Doesn't cost $300. You can do this with a soldering iron and a brain.

> tight budget.  A minor issue is finding a supplier of failed LCDs.  There
> are several businesses that I could contact close to me.

That should be the easy part. Any dealer in used computer parts will be
aware of this problem of "mysteriously dead LCDs" -- usually aged 3-5
years or "just outside warranty".

Your hit rate should be something like 90% from my experience.

--Toby