[rescue] Help needed with Sun V65x

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Tue Feb 18 15:01:35 CST 2014

It seems rather obvious in retrospect, that the low-end doesn't really cannibalize the high end.

If Sun was really all about "the cloud" or "grid computing" then obviously selling a bunch of 1Ghz US IIIi in a motherboard with 4 DIMM slots (max 8 or 16GB), 2 gigabit interfaces, onboard SCSI or SATA and 1 or 2 PCI slots isn't going to stop a buyer who wants a big technical workstation or needs a huge bunch of IO.  And they could have been profitable selling them for $995 (assuming the Netra X1 was profitable at that price point).

But as much as I like Jonathan Schwartz and some of his ideas, the execution and strategic decision-making of Sun during those years wasn't very good...

Cheers

Patrick