[rescue] Recycled P4 machines - Re: Fixed LCD's?

Ron Wickersham rjw at alembic.com
Fri Feb 14 13:10:38 CST 2014

On Fri, 14 Feb 2014, Andrew Hoerter wrote:

> On 2/14/14, Phil Stracchino <phils at caerllewys.net> wrote:
>
>> I've been really thinking about whether I should develop a long-term
>> plan around using some newer low-power device, a mini-ITX platform or
>> something of the kind, but I don't really know enough about hardware in
>> that class to know what would be the best approach.  And it has to be
>> something I can run OpenBSD on.
>
> Lots of people run OpenBSD firewalls on the ALIX boards:
>
> http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm
>
> Might be worth a look.  They top out at 3 Ethernet ports though, which
> might not be enough for you.

We run Alix boards as OpenBSD routers with excellent results, and also
use Soekris boards (which are available with expansion card for additional
ethernet ports).  central routers (with monitoring like Nagios and MTRG)
are Sparc boxes but all run OpenBSD.  the Alix and Soedris boards don't
have fans and are also used in some remote locations with solar power and
battery backup, with no UPS or inverter to build AC power.

-ron