[rescue] Caps on LCD monitors

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Wed Feb 12 03:07:21 CST 2014

> On 12 Feb 2014, at 02:06, Toby Thain <toby at telegraphics.com.au> wrote:
>
>>  appears to have been an
>> issue mainly around 2001-7.
>
> I believe it's an issue with *all* caps, but most of these inverter boards
are just particularly cheap Chinese ones, with cheap and nasty Chinese caps.

> But all of them effectively have obsolescence built in, leading to these
monitors with their sophisticated non-renewable components being treated as
consumables (I saw several in a dumpster just today).

> My fix rate is also > 90%, and myself, friends, neighbours and family have
scored some very nice monitors as a result.

> --Toby

I was purely reiterating what I had read on the web and although historically
electrolytics do have a habit of blowing their tops, I do not recall it being
so common back in 80 and 90s, sure the odd on in a PSU, but 10 on one
board...... The item I read said that the issue was new suppliers in China
with the 'mix' not being stable, I assume they are now either out of business
or have it sorted.....

Peter