[rescue] Caps on LCD monitors

Toby Thain toby at telegraphics.com.au
Tue Feb 11 20:06:23 CST 2014

On 11/02/14 12:19 PM, Peter Stokes wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Just a quick thank you to those who contributed to the blown cap discussion a
> few weeks ago.
>
> I mainly deal in second user Sun kit, often selling into the maintenance
> market. I had seen a batch of old Sun LCDs available as faulty going on Ebay
> for what seems like the last year (probably 6 months) and after having an
> enquiry for some and not being able to locate any in the EU, I decided to take
> the plunge and bought the batch of 24, not expensive, but could have been an
> appointment with the scrap man if they were seriously faulty.
>
> However I am 10 units into them and so far 9 have a significant number of
> blown caps (10 per unit). I class blown as being those with expanded ends and
> not flat as original. In terms of completed tested monitors I now have 4 all
> fixed and tested and on their way to my customer. Working on rest over the
> next few days.
>
> So big thanks for mentioning this, I had not been around the fixing game since
> the mid 90s so was no aware of the cap issue which appears to have been an
> issue mainly around 2001-7.

I believe it's an issue with *all* caps, but most of these inverter
boards are just particularly cheap Chinese ones, with cheap and nasty
Chinese caps.

But all of them effectively have obsolescence built in, leading to these
monitors with their sophisticated non-renewable components being treated
as consumables (I saw several in a dumpster just today).

My fix rate is also > 90%, and myself, friends, neighbours and family
have scored some very nice monitors as a result.

--Toby