[rescue] Marketplaces and risk and junk shops Re: Wisdom of the Collective: QFE

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Feb 10 11:45:35 CST 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 9:29 AM, Phil Stracchino <phils at caerllewys.net>wrote:

> On 02/10/14 12:01, Robert Novak wrote:
> > There's a junk shop (as I've called them for years) here in Sunnyvale
> that
> > I've shopped at on and off for at least 10 years.
>
> Weird Stuff...?  I know it well.  :)

Nope, Evergreen Action Surplus. Over by HRO where Disk Drive Depot used to
be (I think DDD's location was most recently a Hot Yoga salon or an import
cell phone case shop, or both).

Weird Stuff (which I'm also very familiar with) generally has
return/exchange privs on stuff in the front room including laptops, and
George Carlin's "two halfs guarantee"[1] on the stuff with orange labels
(like the $90 Herman Miller Aeron chair I got on Saturday) and/or in the
back as-is warehouse.

Action generally had a no-return, no-exchange, support-only-on-hourly-rate
policy on everything. Nowadays I think their tested PCs/ workstations/
laptops have a 30 day warranty. But nowadays they're in a shop space
smaller than my apartment. So maybe the policies impacted that.

[1] "If it breaks in half, you get to keep both halfs!"