[rescue] Question on V490 power

Jawahar Panchal jpanchal at global-macro.org
Mon Aug 25 11:25:17 CDT 2014

On Aug 25, 2014, at 1:36 AM, der Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG> wrote:

>>> [...] the specs on the machine show it as 208VAC single phase power
>>> supplies only.  [...]
>> [...] another option is a step-up transformer that takes the 110vac
>> input and produces 220vac output
>
> Well, 220V != 208V...
>
>> (the V490 supplies are rated to accept 200-240vac).
>
> Perhaps the machine the OP was talking about has non-original power
> supplies?  208V is what you get between two legs of 120V-to-neutral
> three-phase (ideally, 120*sqrt(3), or about 207.846, volts), so if it
> really is specced for 208V, I speculate it was intended for use at a
> site with three-phase power.  (I know a hosting outfit that runs much
> of their stuff off 208V obtained from delta three-phase.)

The power supplies are the original ones - just had a quick glance at them and
noticed they were not 110vac - but did not look 3-phase either, so assumed
they were single phase ~208vac.

Am hoping not to have to do any transformer work - and my current single phase
circuits are taken - so really dont want to invest in electrician/electrical
work and parts, especially for a free machine! :) I went through the FEH, and
saw that the power supplies for the V480 and V490 look identical, but wasnt
sure if that was a viable path - it would be one of least resistance, as old
V480 power supplies are easily available:

V480: http://www.memoryxsun.com/3001480.html

V490: http://www.memoryxsun.com/3001632.html

Only warning is not to put the V490 power supply in the V480 (which implies
compatible connectors on the power distribution board), but nothing the other
way around :)

Cheers,