[rescue] NeXTSTEP or OPENSTEP?

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sun Aug 10 12:26:36 CDT 2014

" From: "Carl R. Friend" <crfriend at rcn.com>
"
" []
"
"     NT4 (XP) was better, NT5 (Win2000) better still,

you must have that backwards - w2k came before xp

" and now that
" we're at NT6 (Win 7) the kernel is stabilising out very, very,
" nicely (in the same vein in that VMS was trouble until it got up
" into the mid 5s).

but -- i can leave my xp notebook on for weeks without problems,
though firefox memory leaks demand a kill and restart every once in a
while.  my gf's w7 notebook suffers from what i'm guessing are kernel
memory leaks, because only a restart will reclaim the memory, and it
needs them weekly or so.  and this is not running as an admin.

i conjecture it's down to xp embedded, which -has- to run and run and
run, and memory leaks are not tolerable.