[rescue] NeXTSTEP or OPENSTEP?

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Thu Aug 7 11:38:14 CDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 07, 2014 at 05:56:58PM +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
> One of the great things about NT was that you could bootstrap a system
> with MS-DOS, copy the installation files onto the HD with DOS, then
> run WINNT.EXE and install it from there with no worries about bootable
> media, CD-drive support, etc.

I don't think I remember that - my memory of so much 90s x86 computing has
faded terribly :(

> Although clunky next to the Windows Explorer, I still feel. More
> elegant, but less practical.

Agreed, but it was certainly a lot better than Windows 3.1's Program
Manager.  I used to use Norton Desktop in my OS/2 Windows sessions and
rather liked it.

> Impressive! I wasn't that hardcore. I tried Slackware on the OS/2
> laptop but I never got it working -- setting the right parameters for
> the aha152x kernel module defeated me.

I didn't get into SCSI until a bit later so didn't have any issues
installing Slackware (2.1 IIRC) - getting X11 working was a bit of a
challenge though, particularly as I had never installed any Unix before so
had no idea what I was doing. TBH, I only installed Linux because FreeBSD
wouldn't boot from an extended partition - in those days I still used OS/2
Boot Manager to boot everything.

> I still have it -- it's in my mum's spare room. I am tempted to try
> again. :,)

I no longer have that system but am sometimes tempted to build a
fully-specced system to run OS/2. Not sure what I'd do with it though... (I
think some things are probably best left as fond memories).

Cheers, MJ
--
Michael-John Turner * mj at mjturner.net * http://mjturner.net/