[rescue] Found an old Mac Mini

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 13:18:56 CDT 2014

On 4 August 2014 19:59, William Barnett-Lewis <wlewisiii at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 August 2014 Liam Proven (lproven at gmail.com) wrote:
>
>>But the most interesting OS I ran on mine is MorphOS:
>>http://www.morphos-team.net/
>>
>>There's a free demo but it self-throttles after half an hour. You need
>>to pay to unlock it.
>
> 111.11 Euros to unlock it. Nope.

Yeah, sadly, that was my response, too.

I think "Amiga Inc" would have been better-employed targeting the
"official" AmigaOS 4 at Power Mac hardware than the near-unobtanium
PowerPC Amigas... but I also understand the rationale.

Of course you could help out with the PowerPC port of AROS... :B,)

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Aros/Platforms/PPC_support

>>Getting it on was a real trial -- it involved 2 versions of OS X,
>>Drive Genius /and/ an Ubuntu 10.04 boot CD.
>
> Just installed from the CD fine. Runs fine too.

Did you single-boot it? I wanted a dual-boot system. My Mini had 10.5
and MorphOS on the internal HD and 10.4 on a Firewire drive, or
possibly the OS X versions the other way round. That was non-trivial.

>>But basically MorphOS turns a G4 mini into a tiny, quiet, very fast
>>Amiga. One of the fastest Amigas ever, in fact.
>
> Yep, worked as advertised for that half hour. Nice fast Amiga. The
> directory tree & everything reminded me of the A500 I once had and the
> copy of FS-UAE I run now. Neat to be sure but not neat enough for that
> much money. I've already replaced it with Xubuntu 12.04LTS.

That was quick!

If you don't care for Ubuntu's Unity desktop, then I think Debian is
rather more current than *buntu 12.04...

--
Liam Proven b" Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk b" GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven