[rescue] Sun T2000 memory issue

Ray Arachelian ray at arachelian.com
Thu Mar 7 14:53:25 CST 2013

On 03/04/2013 10:42 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> I just recieved a T2000 today.  When I powered it on, I got the
> following error:
>
> FATAL: Check DIMM configuration, Not enough valid dram channels
> FATAL: No Valid MEMORY configuration
> FATAL: The HOST Processor has a configuration error, forcing a power-down
>
> I re-seated the DIMMS and tried again, same results.
>
> Does anyone know if this is more likely to be a RAM issue, or a
> motherboard issue?
>
> I do have 4 1 gig sticks of PC2-5300 Registered ECC ram from an HP, but
> I don't know if it is single ranked or not, nor do I know if the machine
> cares.  Crucial indicates I need 8 matched sticks though.

I have a similar issue on a T1000 and I recently bought memory for it
and it tested and worked just fine on the first poweron.  But when I
tried to jumpstart it a few days later, it complained of bad RAM.  I had
previously cleaned out the dust bunnies under the mobo, and thought it
was the RAM, now I'm not so sure.  Perhaps it needs a firmware upgrade,
or maybe a bad mobo or oxidation on the connector, haven't had time to
play with it.

You might really have incompatible RAM or it might be something else.
I'll post back here if I resolve the issue.

I did pick up a T2000 off ebay and have had lots more luck with it,
though it's very noisy compared to the T1k - even when powered off and
in standby.  The t1000 is silent when powered off which is great,
because I can ssh to the ALOM and power it on as needed and then turn it
off when I'm done.

>From what I know, ALL DIMMs in the T1000 have to be the same size, not
sure about the T2K, but likely the same is true, so if you have
different sized DIMMs, maybe try removing the smaller sized ones.