[rescue] Fast Ethernet with a Sparc Classic

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 09:13:12 CDT 2013

I would think an Ultra 5 or Ultra 10 would be a much better upgrade
considering size, power consumption, processor speed, and SPARC processor -
but it uses PCI expansion cards.

I'd suggest an Ultra 2, but I fear the power consumption would be a
deal-breaker - but it would allow you to use SBUS cards...

If you go the PC/x86 route, older servers have 64-bit PCI-X slots which can
support cheap multi-port gigabit cards, but again, power consumption is likely
a deal-breaker...

One of those Sun ATX motherboards with an Ultra CPU and some cheap NICs would
be fun, but hard to find. You could couple it with a smaller PS to save on
electricity costs,,,

Good luck!

Lionel

On Jun 1, 2013, at 9:06 AM, Jonathan Sturges <jonathansturges at yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> Sadly, after many years I have to retire my SS2 for my personal home
>> firewall and ipsec gateway, since my cable provider is pumping out 20+
Mb/s