[rescue] System Upgrade Drive (sort of)

Nathan Raymond nraymond at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 11:55:23 CDT 2013

Short answer: AMD has very affordable 8-core CPUs and while the
performance-per-Mhz and power efficiency isn't as good as Intel, if you're
doing virtualization the hardware costs are lower for the equivalent
performance compared to Intel.  Power efficiency becomes a bigger deal in a
data center where cooling costs are a bigger factor, and
performance-per-Mhz will matter more for HPC applications (though this is
sometimes offset by GPU compute, depending on the application).

AMD's 8-core CPUs range from $150-$200 (FX-8120 through FX-8350).  Intel's
8-core CPUs range from $1140-$1935 (Xeon E5-2450 through E5-2687W).

Another perk of AMD is that it's a lot cheaper to put a system together
with ECC RAM (just pick the right 890FX or 770 series chipset motherboard,
i.e. many ASUS or Gigabyte AMD boards support ECC, though you will need to
download the motherboard manuals or check forums to verify the support).
 Intel has created entirely separate CPU and chipset product lines that
cost more for their ECC support.

- Nate