[rescue] Using SSDs in a Sun Ultra-45

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Tue Jan 29 10:21:49 CST 2013

On 01/29/2013 10:50 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> SAS is, as I recall, a more robust interface than SATA, and SAS devices are,
> by design, datacenter-grade as opposed to SATA and it's consumer/desktop-class
> hardware design.
>
> Yes, there are 'beefed-up' SATA drives, but they are not equal to SAS AFAIK.
>
> All else being equal, SAS is superior technology.
>
> If cost is a concern, SATA SSD will be the 'bang for the buck' option...

They make "near-line" SATA gear which has the duty cycle and warranty
you would find in enterprise SAS drives.

All things being equal, in the single-drive case, the only difference
between SATA and SAS is queuing strategy.   SATA NCQ is cruder, and has
a shorter maximum queue depth than SAS TCQ.   As a result, SAS drives
are likely to perform a little better under contention.