[rescue] Transplanting a Sun Fire V210 motherboard - PSU requirements?`

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Feb 28 13:27:24 CST 2013

On 02/28/13 08:21, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Crippling features in lesser versions of the OS (Home) is perfectly
> appropriate. The lesser versions sell for less money and suit the needs of
> less-demanding users.
>
> 'Home' editions cost significantly less than 'Professional' or 'Ultimate'
> editions.

Yes, but crippling the backup program is a particularly low trick.
Particularly when the program then taunts you about it.

"Oh, you want to set up backups?  Sure, you can back up to local disk,
but you shouldn't do that because if your disk crashes you'll lose your
backups too.  Or you can back up to optical media, but you shouldn't do
that either because someone might steal your backups.  What you SHOULD
do is back up to an off-machine location like a network share, BUT we're
not going to let you do that because you're a LOSER and you bought Home.
 So neener neener neener.  Wanna buy an upgrade to Pro?"

What I'd like to see Microsoft do is abandon all of this stupid
multiple-versioning crap and just sell one version of the OS, and then
sell support levels.  You can buy support on regular home user features
for $A per license.  You want to use small-business features?  That's
$A+B per license.  You want to use enterprise features like IIS and
Active Directory?  That's $A+B+C per license.

...What, you're running 100 servers and you thought you could get away
with only buying support on one of them?  Too bad.  Come back when
you've bought support at this level for all of your licenses.  What,
your site is down and you need it fixed *RIGHT NOW*, but you can't get a
PO for support until Monday?  We take credit cards.  No credit card?
Sucks to be you.

...What, you're using enterprise-class features on your home LAN but you
didn't buy any support?  Hey, knock yourself out, but you're on your
own.  Have fun.  Or, you could buy Enterprise level support.

...Oh, you want to *learn* the enterprise tools on your home LAN?  Sure.
 No problem.  We have some really good online training classes you can
take for a moderate fee.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.