[rescue] Transplanting a Sun Fire V210 motherboard - PSU requirements?`

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Feb 27 19:12:28 CST 2013

On 02/27/13 18:08, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> Windows 8 is fine, under the UI. In my general desktop usage Win 8 is as
> 'snappy' as Win 7 on similar hardware, neither markedly faster or slower. The
> UI sucks. Badly.
>
> Win 7, in my experience is a tiny bit better than WinXP on identical hardware
> by a tiny bit (dual core, 2-4 Gig RAM machine suggested).

On hardware XP runs on, that may be a valid assessment.  But what
remaining hardware XP runs on is rapidly going the way of the dodo.
(Let's not even bother talking about WinXP 64-bit.  It sucked donkey balls.)

My experience was that the Win7 UI layer needs a couple of third-party
fixes like ShellFolderFix and a little bit of quality time with a 2x4 to
beat it into submission, and once that is done Win7 works very well,
with the proviso that a number of important features (including the
included backup program) are deliberately crippled in Home versions.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.