[rescue] long shot... anybody got a Gateway 486?

Ethan O'Toole ethan at 757tech.net
Tue Apr 30 12:30:28 CDT 2013

> 100% sure, I spent many many hours on that thing.  It was a 486DX at 33 MHz
> with 16 MB of RAM (in 16 individual sticks). I know the processor, because
> it was just plugged into the motherboard, no heatsink, no fan, so I could
> read the label.

Mine was the 386-25DX in that case. It had 4 SIMM slots (or was it 8?)
that could take 1MB sticks. Maybe 4MB as well.

Micronics motherboard sounds familiar.

It had 3 5.25" exposed bays on the right, then two 5.25" ones to the left
of that. Mine had an 80MB Western Digital IDE drive and I think 4MB of RAM
to start with. So it must of been 8 x 30 pin SIMM slots.

At the time, Gateway 2000, Austin, Swan, Dell, AST were all competitors
that advertised in the likes of Computer Shopper. They were all generics
built out of random parts.

Later the cases started getting custom as the companies grew.