[rescue] long shot... anybody got a Gateway 486?

John Floren john at jfloren.net
Tue Apr 30 11:38:10 CDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 6:08 AM, Dan Moore <dan at moore.cx> wrote:

>> My first computer ever was a Gateway 486, looked exactly like
>> http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200610/gateway_486_25.jpg
>

> Are you sure it was a 486?  The first x86 computer my family had was a
Gateway 386/16mhz in exactly that case.  I know I have some evidence of
this because I took photos when I (sorry for you) finally threw it out a
few years ago.

100% sure, I spent many many hours on that thing.  It was a 486DX at 33 MHz
with 16 MB of RAM (in 16 individual sticks). I know the processor, because
it was just plugged into the motherboard, no heatsink, no fan, so I could
read the label.

I'm guessing Gateway just kept using that case for a while. Heck, if I
could get one, I'd put my current PC in such a case; it was pretty awesome.

john

PS: Am I sending HTML mail? Gmail's new compose thing is annoyingly unclear
on that point, and I *hate* sending HTML