[rescue] long shot... anybody got a Gateway 486?

Laurence Brevard brevard at 1or0.com
Tue Apr 30 11:06:55 CDT 2013

At 02:50 PM 4/29/2013, you wrote:
>My first computer ever was a Gateway 486, looked exactly like
>http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200610/gateway_486_25.jpg
>
>Anyone in the Bay Area have one of these boat anchors to spare? I bought
>the thing in the era of the Pentium III...

That means it was old when you got it!

By the time the Pentium III was out there had been many successors to the 486.

The 486 was followed by Pentium (not marketed as 586), Pentium Pro, Pentium II, and then Pentium III (aka 686).

Then Pentium 4, Core, Core2, Core-i*.

I believe that, after the later Pentium 4 cores (design teams in Oregon) were so power hungry, the mobile Pentium III (designed in Israel) was the basis for the Core* series.

Of course, I always thought Pentium II should be Hexium. Followed by Septium...

LAURENCE C. BREVARD
http://www.BrevardAndBrevard.com