[rescue] long shot... anybody got a Gateway 486?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Apr 30 09:17:28 CDT 2013

On 04/30/13 09:40, JP Hindin wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2013, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> First computer I used was a dial-up teletype ASR-33 (I think) with a 110 baud
>> modem (the big tan one you shoved the handset into), not sure what it was
>> connecting to, a 'public' machine at Lawrence Livermore Labs at Berkely around
>> 1977.
>
> I can't win - I'm only 33 - but the first computer I used was a Z80 CP/M
> machine my Dad designed and built from scratch when he was figuring out
> how to do such things (Which impressed me then a lot more than it does
> now, since I have the same thing running on breadboards at home).
>
> The first computer game I played was DUNGEO(n) on RK05 pack on a
> PDP11/34a that the old man bought from the New Zealand Department of
> Health (one of their two primary minis)... when I was five.
>
> This is, undoubtedly, what got me hooked - and why I collect computers
> today. I have a row of SGI Onyx2 racks at home and, one of these days, the
> first time my son (currently 7) plays DooM (or Quake) will be on at least
> three Onyx2 racks tied together. It must, or I have failed as a parent.

First computer I worked on:  PDP-10 and PDP-11/70 linked by a custom
interface, at Hatfield Polytechnic
First computer I used at home:  HP-150 Touchscreen portable PC
First computer I personally owned:  10MHz Wyse 80286
Oldest computer I worked on:  NCR-Burroughs 8100, paper tape and core
memory, programmed in ALGOL 60
Weirdest machine I worked on:  Custom microprocessor with a 14-bit word
length.  Why 14-bit?  God only knows.  Somebody evidently thought it
made sense.  Can't say any more about it than that.
Most-expensive-when-new machine I've personally owned:  Sun Ultra
Enterprise 3000.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.