[rescue] long shot... anybody got a Gateway 486?

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Mon Apr 29 20:29:59 CDT 2013

>  From there, and into actual consciousness, the first machine I
> ever properly explored (and mastered) was a DG Nova 840 (which I
> have in my collection and it still runs -- not bad for a 40-year-
> old); after that, the first class of systems I actually worked on
> in my professional life was the PDP-10 (of which 4 types were
> produced) and just a couple of weeks ago got hands-on (and brains-
> on) time with the KI-10 at Seattle's Living Computer Museum. It
> was like going home.

My "first computer" was a PDP-10, but of course I had to share it with a
few other people. ;-) I worked on a tty and wrote Fortran IV and PDP
assembly language. I remember it being a lot more interesting and
predictable than this java stuff I deal with now. Limited I suppose, but
fun. I still spend more time with my hands on the keyboard than on the
mouse.

Steve