[rescue] Solaris for PrimePower 250?

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Mon Apr 29 13:16:46 CDT 2013

On 04/29/2013 01:50, Mike Meredith wrote:

> To be fair :-
>
> 1. Encountering unlabelled disks in a SPARC-based machine would be
>     "unusual" ... it's likely that only us enthusiasts who would
>     encounter them on an install.

Not in my experience, though said experience qualifies for classiccmp at
this point (10+ years old).

The only times I got sun-labeled drives was in new machines, and when
working at Fortune 500 firms who only bought through sun VARs. Every
other shop wouldn't pay those prices.

Maybe it was different after ~2002, or maybe Suns were no longer being
bought in small quantities, or outside environments with SANs.

> I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the suninstall tool had been left
> to wither with only enough changes made to it to keep it working since
> Solaris 2.4.

Entirely possible. I took the advent of a Java-based installer as a sign
the Apocalypse was nigh...

--S.