[rescue] Keep finding more stuff:

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Sep 10 23:47:29 CDT 2012

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012, Stefan Skoglund wrote:

> can i connect that machine with is cg6 card to my heavy ibm
> powerdisplay20 monitor (which is bnc only, is it SOG but it does have 2
> separate sync connectors.)

I've had some degree of luck doing this with a 4BNC cable and a
T-connector (like you'd use with 10base2 Ethernet).  Connect the green
lead to one site of the T, the sync lead to the other, and connect the T
into the green port on the monitor.

Similarly, I've seen some Sun 4BNC monitors that could be driven from a
5BNC cable (connected to a very specifically-timed graphics card!!) by
connecting the two sync leads together with a T-connector.

Failing the T-connector solution, see if you can find the documentation on
that monitor.  Perhaps one of the sync connectors doubles as a composite
sync connector; I have an old 5BNC monitor that works like that.

> But i think the machine has a problem with the battery PROM.

The battery is almost certainly flat.  Unfortunately, Sun used a
battery-backed NVRAM with the battery in the package, rather than using a
coin-cell elsewhere.  As the batteries are also flat in all the
replacement parts, that means doing some surgery:

         http://www.squirrel.com/sun-nvram-hostid.faq.html
         http://gigawa.lt/gigawa.lt/Sun_NVRAM.html

--
Jonathan Patschke    |    "If one does not fail at times, then one has
Elgin, TX            %     not challenged himself."