[rescue] Sun UPA (Creator3d/Elite3d) framebuffer wanted

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon May 28 12:38:40 CDT 2012

On 05/28/2012 01:23 PM, George Wyche wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
>   "Framebuffer" this thing must be. I don't know what for sure you are
> trying to say when you say "horizontal". Chances are it isn't what you
> want. I cannot say for sure. Help me identify this double board, known
> to be working when it was removed, device.
>   Nowhere on this thing does it say in plain English what it is. I looked
> carefully. Here are all the "markings" in no discernable order:
> SUN MICROSYSTEMS INC.
> [numerous 1 inch square chips with SUN printed on them]

> *5015058028177* -01REV50
> *5404313004950* -02REV50\

This is an Elite3D M6 24-bit *vertical*-UPA frame buffer.

FYFI, the Sun UPA graphics adapter connection comes in two flavors known
as vertical and horizontal UPA.  They use the same basic signalling and
communication protocol, but over different connectors.  Vertical UPS, as
in the one you have, looks very much like a PCI64 card.  "Horizontal"
UPA (referring more to the card than to the connector) looks much more
like an SBUS card in which some of the pins in the connector are
replaced by elongated "blades".

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.