[rescue] Need Repair and restore information

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Thu Mar 15 21:14:05 CDT 2012

" From: J Keys <hcmjkeys at yahoo.com>
"
" Hello
" I have two problems that I need help with, one is an IBM Card Interpeter
" model 552 that has 3 broken legs. I think it's cast iron and one welder told
" me he could weld the legs back on the unit. Does anyone if these can be
" repaired or should we build a box with wheels to set it in for museum display?

cast iron can indeed be welded, by someone who knows his stuff.  the
trick is heat management, so that the relatively brittle iron doesn't
crack again from thermal stress after welding.

" The second problem is a set of Apple MAC 20th Anv pens that have, the pen
" bodies have turned very soft and sticky and help on stopping this so that
" these too can be part of a display?

sounds like the plasticizer weeping out from the original plastic.  i
don't have an answer for that.