[rescue] Ultra 5 / Ultra 10

microcode at zoho.com microcode at zoho.com
Sun Jun 10 00:29:08 CDT 2012

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 16:13:24 -0500
Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 07:41:28PM +0000, microcode at zoho.com wrote:
> >Good grief, does an Ultra 5 really weigh 40 pounds?
> >I was going to check on shipping prices but if that's correct I can't
> >afford it.
> >I hate to see so much Sun goodness going to the scrapper but it's
> >happening more and more every day...
>
> http://www.memoryxsun.com/ultra5base.html says shipping weight, 25 lbs.
>
> So, add a couple pounds for hard drive, video card, etc.. I know that I
> had an Ultra 10 at one point that was so full of stuff it was like trying
> to pick up a big concrete brick.

I was too lazy last night to check Sun's doc. I had searched the net and
found the 39.6 pounds number. Checking the Sun Ultra 5 Service Manual
805-7763-12 Appendix A lists the weight as (approximately) 39.70 pounds or
18.00 Kg. Good grief.

Well at least we know why they seem to last forever. Sun didn't build them
with junk parts. But I still don't know why they called them pizza boxes. I
don't know about you guys but I've never seen a forty pound pizza! ;-)