[rescue] Opinions - what OS for Sun E3500?

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc
Fri Jun 8 17:14:49 CDT 2012

OpenIndiana is a great OS, and I am typing this message on an
OpenIndiana box.

Unfortunately, as well as they are doing on X86, they are stumbling
around with Sparc just as much.

It seems everyone in the Illumos/OpenIndiana community knows that they
need to get moving on Sparc, combined with the fact that it is an
incredible growth opportunity with Oracle dropping the Sun4u platform
with Solaris 11.

Every once in a while, you hear about a successful independent
OpenIndiana compile for Sparc, but I have yet to see an ISO download link.

Currently there are roughly 2 dozen different Solaris based distro's.
AFAIK, they are all pretty much focused on x86/x64.  If someone else
knows different, nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong
on that statement.

Back on topic, I agree that Solaris 10 is the best bet for the E3500
currently.

Jerry