[rescue] Opinions - what OS for Sun E3500?

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Fri Jun 8 15:58:58 CDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 4:49 PM, <shatle at nfldinet.com> wrote:

> All,
> I've decided to bring my E3500 out of mothballs - I've got enough FC
> disks, processors and memory to make a real power-sucking dust bunny
> collector...

Solaris 10 will run on it, but because of licensing I don't know if you CAN
run it on there anymore. Depending upon what you're doing with Solaris
Containers it could be neat.

You could do the "vintage" thing and run Solaris 2.5.1 on it (which I think
will work with patches.)

A friend of mine has been doing a lot of Linux/Sparc work with Debian
Sparc, fixing compiler bugs, etc. It's been interesting watching his tweets
on it.

Of course, if you want BSD there is BSD support from the usual suspects
(FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD.)

Given how many disks you may (or may not) have in the box, you may want to
play with ZFS. That means Solaris 10 or FreeBSD.