[rescue] OpenLook/Openwin WAS::::::::::Re: CDE

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 06:06:08 CDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:02 PM, Joshua D. Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
> On 8/7/2012 9:26 PM, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>>
>> Add some transparency support, anti-aliasing, and compiz-fusion love and
>> it
>> would be really, really nice.
>

> Please no compiz or fusion.  I really liked the idea at first and spent a
> lot of time arguing why it was a good idea that just needed time to mature,
> but 6 years later I've still never seen it work without causing trouble and
> yet all the modern desktops (Unity and GNOME 3[0]) are forcing it on me now.

You probably are not running OpenIndiana, it works well there, never
had a problem with it. In fact, the same could be said with
opensolaris and with solaris express. It is purely eye candy, but with
modern video cards it makes no negative impact on cpu or usability
(Nvidia cards and the official nvidia driver at least). Doesn't cause
any slowdown or hiccup at all, even at resolutions like 2560 x 1440 or
more.

Francois