[rescue] q on Sun x64 hardware - SAS and SATA drives?

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Mon Sep 26 16:47:58 CDT 2011

Patrick wrote :

> Has anyone ever actually added a 2.5inch SATA drive to e.g. a Sun x4200
> with built-in SAS controller, and had it work?  I was thinking of the
> Seagate Momentus drives that have a few GB of flash on them to improve
> write speeds.
>
> I know that the spec "says" SATA drives will work with SAS but would
> like to hear about actual hands-on experience with them.

For what it's worth, I have a LSI 8408E SAS RAID controller (which I believe
is supported under Solaris... there are drivers for it as least) which has
been running with a varied mix of off the shelf SATA drives... from 500's up
thru 1GBs (so far).  8 of each, with WD, Seagate and Hitachi drives... all
no issues at all.

I know at one point LSI supplied the chips for a lot of Sun
controllers...not sure about the SAS ones...

Earl