[rescue] q on Sun x64 hardware - SAS and SATA drives?

Scott Quinn saquinn624 at aol.com
Mon Sep 26 12:11:16 CDT 2011

I've done it before. There should be no problem - the difference is handled by
the hardware, and the OS doesn't have to mess with it. You don't get the SAS
benefits, but for most small installations that's not a big deal.

I just put a set of the slower Seagate Constellation SAS drives in a server,
and it will be interesting to see how they turn out compared to SATA. Only $20
more than the equivalent SATA, and the improved controllers should help on
this multiuser/multi-VM machine. Holding one of the "enterprise" SATA or SAS
drives next to a cheapo "desktop" model and you notice the difference in heft,
though I haven't run enough of them to get a good feel for the reliability
difference.