[rescue] SCSI2 to IDE (was: Re: SCSI 50 to 68 to 80 pin thingies)

Justin Haynes justin at justinhaynes.com
Thu May 19 20:26:43 CDT 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org> wrote:

> There were some (one?) PowerBooks (I want to say that it might have been
> the PB Duo 2300c?) that could take either SCSI or IDE drives.  I
> wasn't much into Apple laptops when this was going on, but I've seen the
> insides of a Powerbook that belonged to a friend of mine that was set up
> this way.  If these shipped from the factory with a larger SCSI drive,
> they were IDE disks with bridges.
>
> IBM made a 1.1 gig 2.5" SCSI drive, which is what my Sparcbook 3GX had
> in it when I got it.  This was a real SCSI drive, no bridge involved.
> From what I've heard over the years, the Powerbooks that had SCSI drives
> larger than that had the ACARD bridges in them, which have the 8 gig
> limit and run at SCSI speeds rather than SCSI-2.
>
> The chb25int unit, which is what I have in my Sparcbook, runs at SCSI-2
> speeds and does not have the 8 gig limit.  I've currently got it
> attached to an 80 gig drive, with no problems.
>
> These days, they seem to be as close to unavailable as to not matter.
>
> --
> Michael Parson
> mparson at bl.org

I keep looking, but I'm not finding any more of these ADTX 2.5" IDE to SCSI
adapters that would allow me to use a 2.5" IDE drive in my SPARCBook 3gx.

Does anyone have an ADTX unit, or even an chb25int unit?

At this point you can probably name your price.  Or put me in your will.
:-)  I'd love to be able to use my SPARCBook 3gx without needing NFS to
compile OpenBSD.

I'm also very curious about what the battery life will be like with:

- the batteries recelled with NiMH (There are cells available with the
charging circuit included)
- SD IDE hard drive.

Imagine having a SPARCBook 3gx that is completely slient when it runs.  I'd
really like to take it with me to DEFCON, but not in its current state.  It
feels sad and lonely with its 15 year old mechanical SCSI spindle....

Alas, won't someone help me to revive this lovely specimen?

-Justin