[rescue] SGI hardware (WAS hardware FS/FT)

Steve Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Thu May 19 13:37:27 CDT 2011

On 05/19/2011 12:24 PM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
.
> At the other end of the scale, the "server" [SGI] machines can be a
> lot of fun

I found it very interesting to grab two Origin 300 servers and see how
SGI designed their NUMA systems so that you could grow one brick/rack
at a time, but still run anything from 4 to 4,096 CPU systems under a
single instance of IRIX. (Or partition them, or...) And these aspects
are still applicable to the latest Altix systems using x86 processors.

A cute if relatively content-free demo at an SGI briefing I was at
recently involved connecting to a virtual Windows machine running on
an Altix system. This VM allegedly had access to something like 8-16TB
of RAM... <Insert obligatory Windows joke here>

> and they can double as home heating systems for the deaf.

Well if that's your goal there's a vast array of choices out there
in the vintage "marketplace." Which is necessary, I guess, to match
any desired decor...

--S.