[rescue] Thin Client for garage

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Mar 29 16:44:08 CDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Steve Sandau <ssandau at gwi.net> wrote:
>>> I9d like to have some kind of thin client in the garage that I can use with
>>> a cheap LCD and external keyboard/mouse to facilitate getting stuff from
>>> the web when I9m in the middle of something vs. having to run back into the
>>> house and review or print stuff out, etc.
>
> I have a thin client from disklessworkstations.com that has no moving parts.
> It cost me about $100 new. I usually use it with LTSP booted from a quad
> core Xeon box, but I have also booted it from an SD card since it has a slot
> for one. I suppose most USB-bootable Linux distros would work too.

I've seen a fair number of Neoware Eon machines on eBay and in local
stores (I have a couple, dunno condition or even location).

300mhz Geode processor, slow memory and disk-on-chip or ide or cf or
ssd of some sort... I think they have a shared isa/pci slot, and some
even have analog audio/video out. Could be very quiet and low (15W?)
power. Standard VGA out, ps/2 keyboard and mouse plus a USB port or
two I think. Mine came out of local apparel shops as POS systems.

These were originally (I think) WinCE or Citrix clients, but there's a
lot out there on running Linux/BSD on them. You can even buy
pre-loaded m0n0wall Eons for $50ish on eBay.

Rob