[rescue] Thin Client for garage

Steve Sandau ssandau at gwi.net
Tue Mar 29 16:36:27 CDT 2011

>> All,
>>
>> When we built our new garage last fall, I ran some CAT5e out there to
>> facilitate data connectivity back to the house.
>>
>> Now that spring is (hopefully!) coming, it9s time to get ready for working
>> on the MGB and the bikes.
>>
>> I9d like to have some kind of thin client in the garage that I can use with
>> a cheap LCD and external keyboard/mouse to facilitate getting stuff from
>> the
>> web when I9m in the middle of something vs. having to run back into the
>> house and review or print stuff out, etc.
>>
>> I9ve not taken a lot of time to research what9s out there, but basically
>> what I need is a box with enough smarts to run either a decent, embedded
>> browser on its own, or be able to VNC/RDP back to a machine in the house to
>> do the same.
>>
>> I know I could bring an old laptop out there, but due to environmental
>> concerns (hot summers/cold winters) I think something with no moving parts
>> might be better, but I could be wrong.
>>
>> So- if anyone has suggestions or pointers I9m all ears, or if you have
>> something suitable for sale let me know off-list.
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Steve

I have a thin client from disklessworkstations.com that has no moving
parts. It cost me about $100 new. I usually use it with LTSP booted from
a quad core Xeon box, but I have also booted it from an SD card since it
has a slot for one. I suppose most USB-bootable Linux distros would work
too.

The one I have is great for static content, but sound and video stress
it out somewhat. It's not a top-end one.

I just had a garage built last fall, and was thinking about the same
thing. I have an old laptop out there, but the boot time for the LTSP
thin terminal would be much quicker. Thanks for the idea!

Steve (S)