[rescue] Thin Client for garage

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Tue Mar 29 11:45:59 CDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you considered netbooting an old PC? Thin clients are nice, but you buy
> into BIOS and O/S limitations with them vs. a netboot PC.

<snip>
> On Mar 29, 2011, at 9:44 AM, "Hatle, Steven J" <shatle at nfldinet.com> wrote:
>
>> I9d like to have some kind of thin client in the garage that I can use with
>> a cheap LCD and external keyboard/mouse to facilitate getting stuff from
> the
>> web when I9m in the middle of something vs. having to run back into the
>> house and review or print stuff out, etc.

I've had great success with HP's T573x series.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12889_na/12889_na.pdf

They're designed to run Linux and/or XP embedded, and have a full
BIOS.  I'm running mine as a dataless device (not diskless) with a
small internal SSD.  They're frequently available NIB, on eBay, for
cheap.  The processor is a mobile Athlon 64 single-core cpu, @ 1gHz.
Subjectively, I'd say that they are faster than a single-core Atom,
and they require no fans.

Mine came with no flash module, but had 2gb of RAM, and I got it for
$150 shipped, 1+ years ago.

- Alex