[rescue] External Drive on a Mac Book Chassis

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 17:19:57 CDT 2011

Mr Ian Primus said:

>It will function.
>
>It's probably going to be slow though. If you used FireWire, it should be
fine though. FireWire is much better at sustained transfers than >USB is. I
actually have used a Mac booted off a FireWire 400 disk - it was fine.

>Laptop hard disks are cheap enough though - just get a 2.5" SATA drive and
replace the disk in the laptop, and use the external drive for >bulk data
storage.

>-Ian

The problem is that this would have been the 4th new drive in the
machine. Unfortunately the brand new Seagate wasn't recognized. Nor
was a new WD. The bus has died this time, the physical connector I
think, not just the old drive.

However, if Firewire is suitable, I may track down a Firewire/SATA
case and stuff one of the cheap 1TB 3.5" drives in it.

Thanks for that info.

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.